Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tri Dishes ++

Artist: Autechre
Album: Tri Repetae++
Released in: 1995, whoa
Rotation during college: heavy

More giant-machine, abandoned-factory, texturally-brilliant soundscapes from Autechre. This one made Pitchfork's top 100 albums of the 90's list (in a higher position than Selected Ambient Works 85-92). I almost feel like I couldn't do it justice though, by listening to it while washing the dishes. It's not about hummable melodies or dance-y beats, and I couldn't make out a lot of the detail in the layering. Autechre's Incunabula does a little better in this regard since it is less squelchy and more creepy - a bit more melodic than rhythmic. The significant other and I had a small debate about which is actually Autechre's best album -- Tri Repetae++ is more their prototypical sound, but Incunabula is more emotionally rich (although this could be due to its association with the movie Pi).

I don't own Incunabula on CD, but there still is one more Autechre album to go. I might skip ahead since I'm getting a little weary of idm.

No comments: