Tuesday, June 3, 2008

From the Dishgirl Hotel


Artist
: Tori Amos
Album: From the Choirgirl Hotel
Released in: 1998
Liner Notes: missing - what happened to all my Tori liner notes?

My tolerance for Tori is plummeting, and this album was never my fave.

Track-by-track breakdown:
  1. Spark - the big single. blah.
  2. Cruel - I put this track on the A side of a mix tape for a good male friend (who I should have dated) in high school. The B side was one of the best mixes I've ever made (if I do say so myself): we talked on the phone often and it represented a phone call between us complete with songs representing me, him, our love interests, his mom (who would tell us to go to bed), typical topics of conversation and even a sampled telephone ring and greetings. Maybe one day it will show up at this site.
  3. Black-Dove (January) - black duuuuuuuhve. black duuhhhhhhhhve.
  4. Raspberry Swirl - Scene: girl's bathroom in a high school. Me: washing hands. School's bad girl enters singing 'If you want inside her, well, boy you better make her raspberry swirl.' Me: I know that song! Bad girl glares, leaves.
  5. Jackie's Strength - the one decent old-school Tori song on the album.
  6. Iiiieeeee - forgettable
  7. Liquid Diamonds - One of my high school yearbook quotes is from this song. I was just that angsty.
  8. She's Your Cocaine - ugh.
  9. Northern Lad - memorable for the great break-up line: "Girl you've got to know when it's time to turn the page."
  10. Hotel - Tori one-night-stand freak-out!
  11. Playboy Mommy - pitiable because of the circumstances (Tori had a miscarriage) but otherwise boring.
  12. Pandora's Box - Paaaaaaaaaaaaaandoraaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhgghh
Thankfully, the end is near with Tori albums. Choirgirl was one of the last ones I bought.

No comments: