Friday, July 10, 2009

Moving = Insanity

We here at the Dishes Project normally stick to music-related/inspired content. However, the last couple of days have been so insane that they require some commemoration.

Backstory: I moved across the country -- sold all furniture, shipped all worthwhile possessions (clothes, books) and got rid of the rest. I had help (thanks Mr. R.!) but the last day was still utterly exhausting. My move-out date was Wednesday, which is where our story begins....


7/8/09, 7:30 am: Wake up time

8:30-10:30: Retrieved moving van from San Jose airport

10:30-12pm: Disassembled various furniture items, emptied apartment storage area

12-1: Went to recycling center and gave them mattress, cardboard boxes from storage area

I was so happy to get rid of the mattress in a legal way... but it took a lot of time.

1-2:30: Met with former professor to retrieve library books, went to campus and cleaned out office, returned library book, ate lunch

He could only find one of the library books...

2:30-3:30: Gave dresser to Mr. W. and fan to Ms. F., removed seat from moving van, carried bed, microwave, dresser, multi-drawered office organizer, mirror and end table to van

3:30ish-5ish: Went to Public Storage, set up storage unit, unloaded all furniture into storage unit

Furniture Count: 7 pieces, including mattress

5-6:30ish: Loaded van with futon (frame and mattress), Ikea chair, bike rack, and bookcase and delivered to Mr. N. on campus

6:30-7:30ish: Loaded van with couch and filing cabinet with help of Mr. H., delivered couch to Mr. H.

Furniture Count: 15 pieces

7:30-8:30ish: Gave floor lamp to random person, loaded van with large bookcase, small bookcase and TV, delivered the previous to Mr. T.

8:30-9:30ish: Took more furniture to storage unit before it closed (desk, bookcase, printer), deposited check, checked in at hotel, ate dinner

Furniture Count: 21 pieces

9:30-10:30ish: cleaned out car, sold car to Mr. T.!

10:30-11: shipped two last boxes, retrieved shelves accidentally given to Mr. T.

11-1:15ish: cleaned remaining stuff out of apartment, packed multiple suitcases

There was so much stuff to be gotten rid of: misc unclaimed furniture and household goods, food, plants, gah.

1:30-3:15am: cleaned apartment, loaded van with vacuum cleaner, garbage cans, misc small lamps, filing storage bins, toaster, box of kitchen goods, standing lamp, returned keys

3:15-3:45am: delivered standing lamp to Mr. T., went to hotel, crashed

The standing lamp had to be last since we wouldn't have been able to see without it... no overhead lighting in most rooms of the old apartment.

Total Furniture: 25 pieces or so in approximately 12 hours (garbage cans+ lamp + bins = 1 piece, toaster + box = 1 piece)


7/9/09, 5:15am: wake-up time after 1.5 hours of sleep! gotta get to the storage unit again before leaving SC

6-6:20: went to storage unit, unloaded all items which had been loaded at the end of the previous night

Very bleary-eyed...

6:20-7:30: breakfast (thank you Hampton Inn), got gas for moving van, drove moving van to San Jose airport and returned it

8am Pacific time to 8:30 pm Eastern time: in airports (San Jose, Reno, Las Vegas, Baltimore), on planes (reading Breaking Dawn), wrangling four suitcases, riding on courtesy shuttles

9 pm: Finally in Lutherville, watched Ghost World for no reason, crashed



1 comment:

anna k said...

Damn! Insanity is right. Glad you made it out alive.